The RSA David Michie Travel Award (£2,500) provides a travel and research opportunity for graduating and postgraduate drawing and painting students. Funded by the Michie Family and administered by the Royal Scottish Academy, the award consists of:
- Monetary award of £2,500 to fund a period of travel for the research and development for a new body of work
- Exhibition of selected completed work at the Royal Scottish Academy in 2023/24
- Acquisition of work into the RSA Permanent Collection; 'A Recognised Collection of National Significance to Scotland'
- Entrants must be practicing in drawing and/or painting.
- Entrants must either be graduating in 2022 or currently studying at postgraduate level at one of the following art schools in Scotland: Gray's School of Art, Aberdeen, Duncan of Jordanstone Collage of Art, Dundee, Edinburgh Collage of Art, Glasgow School of Art, and University of the Highlands and Islands.
The deadline for entry to this year's award has now passed.
The winner for 2022 is Emma Hall.
- Emma Hall 2022
- Ava Grauls 2021
- Hannah Paterson 2020
- Aidan Stephen 2019
- Da Hee Lee 2018
- Rachel Hobkirk 2017
About David Michie RSA
David Alan Redpath Michie OBE RSA (1928 – 2015) was born at Saint-Raphaël, France. His father, James Michie, was an architect and painter and his mother was the celebrated artist Anne Redpath OBE RSA.
Michie’s early years were spent living in St-Jean-Cap-Ferrat and the vibrant colour schemes of the Côte d’Azur would later infuse his work. In 1934, his family settled in the Scottish Borders. In 1946, he enrolled at Edinburgh College of Art where he was taught by William Gillies RSA. In 1953, after a period of National Service, he received a travelling scholarship to Italy, accompanied by his friend, the painter John Houston. They toured the Renaissance sites of Tuscany, and stayed in the hilltop towns of Anticoli Corrado and Orvieto in Umbria.
Michie taught widely, lecturing at James Clarke’s School, Edinburgh, and Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen. He was a visiting professor at the Academy of Fine Art in Belgrade and the University of California. He returned to Edinburgh College of Art to teach painting during the 1960s and 1970s, and was Vice Principal there from 1974 to 1977.
Banner image: David Michie RSA, Pink Man Passing