The RSA William Littlejohn Award (£2000) for Excellence and Innovation in Water-based media. Funded by The William Littlejohn Bequest and administered by the Royal Scottish Academy, the award consists of:
- A monetary award to research, develop and produce a new body of work in a water-based medium
- An exhibition of selected completed work at the Royal Scottish Academy in 2023
- Acquisition of work into the RSA Permanent Collection; ‘A Recognised Collection of National Significance to Scotland’
- Entrants must be working in water-based media (any pigment mixed with water).
- Entrants must be born in Scotland or have been resident in Scotland for at least 3 years.
- In the case of students applying, entrants must either be graduating in 2022 or currently studying at postgraduate level at one of the following art schools in Scotland - Gray's School of Art, Aberdeen, Duncan of Jordanstone Collage of Art, Dundee, Edinburgh Collage of Art, Glasgow School of Art, and University of the Highlands and Islands.
Conditions of entry
- Entry conditions and requirements must be strictly adhered to or applications may be rejected.
- The decision of the adjudicators is final and no correspondence can be entered into
- The award should not be used as a capital grant.
- The award winner will be announced by end of September 2022.
- Normally the award should be completed by May 2023, however, due to the developing situation of COVID-19 this is flexible by negotiation.
- The winner will exhibit resulting work in the Royal Scottish Academy the following year. Further arrangements will be determined in consultation with the winner.
- The Royal Scottish Academy reserves the right to accession one representative work from the artist into the RSA Permanent Collection.
- The copyright of all works remains with the artist but it is a condition of entry that the Royal Scottish Academy reserves the right of reproduction of all submitted and resultant works for publicity/educational/reference purposes in connection with the award.
- Personal information supplied by applicants on application forms will be held securely by the Royal Scottish Academy in accordance with The EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Applicant deadline: Sunday 26 June 2022, 11.59pm
- Samantha Clark 2021
- John Brown 2020
- Sam Drake 2019
- Amy Dennis 2018
- Alasdair Wallace 2017
- Frances Rokhlin 2016
- Catherine Ross 2015
- John Kellock 2014
- Kyle Noble 2013
- Anne Murray 2012
- Paul Westcombe 2011
- Jean Duncan 2010
- Laura Sutherland 2009
Banner image: Amy Dennis, Still Life with Cast Objects