Overview

Elected ARSA: 19 March 1930

Elected RSA: 14 February 1934

H. O. Tarbolton was born at Nottingham in 1869 and died in Edinburgh on the 31st July 1947, his wife having predeceased him in 1943. He was educated at Chigwell, Essex, and at the Royal Academy Architectural School, 1892-1895. He was articled to Geo. T. Hive, F.R.I.B.A., Nottingham and London. After travelling abroad, he commenced practice in Edinburgh in 1895.

 

In 1900 he worked with the late John Kinross, R.S.A., and collaborated in the design of Manderston, Duns, and The Peel, Selkirkshire. In 1907 he joined the firm of Hay and Henderson, and 1933 he entered into partnership with the late Sir Matthew Ochterlony, Bart., A.R.S.A.

 

His works in recent years include the completion of Bermuda Cathedral, and the Church of St. Theresa and other buildings in that Colony: Pattishall House, Northamptonshire; Elsie Inglis Memorial Hospital, Edinburgh; Church of Our Lady, Bangour; St. Brides', Glasgow; the Old Sailor's Ark, Edinburgh.

 

Mr. Tarbolton was Consultant Architect to the Dean and Chapter of St Ninian's Cathedral, Perth, and of Oban Cathedral. In 1944 he was appointed Advisory Architect to the North of Scotland Hydro-Electric Board, and was responsible for the design of power stations connected with the Loch Sloy and Tummel-Garry Schemes.

 

In 1929 he has been a member of the Amenity Committee in connection with the Galloway Water Power Act, and had acted as Advisory Architect.

 

He was a member of the Board of the Royal Edinburgh Hospital and of the Heriot-Watt College, and had represented the Academy on the Board of the College of Art. In 1938 he succeeded Sir G. Washington Browne, P.R.S.A., on the Royal Fine Art Commission for Scotland. His Associateship of the Academy dates from 1931; his election to Academician rank taking place in 1934; his Diploma work is of Bermuda Cathedral.

 

RSA Obituary by Frank C Mears RSA and David Foggie RSA. Transcribed from the 1947 RSA Annual Report

 

Further Images

Harold Ogle Tarbolton RSA (1869-1947) Bermuda Cathedral

architectural drawing, 1911, 101.0 x 57.7cm

RSA Diploma Collection (Deposited, 1934) 1993.11