Work With Us: Gallery Assistant – Temporary
The Royal Scottish Academy of Art and Architecture (RSA) has been at the forefront of creative practice for almost 200 years. We support, enable and promote Scotland’s artist and architect talent through our wide-ranging programmes of awards and exhibitions, promoting these activities to engage our audiences.
We are looking to appoint Gallery Assistants who are passionate about the visual arts to assist with our exciting upcoming exhibitions programme.
Post: Gallery Assistant – Temporary
Reports to: Gallery Manager
Role: Based within the RSA Galleries this position will provide exhibition supervision and installation assistance for the RSA exhibitions programme between the dates of the contract (see Terms & Conditions box below).
Hours: There are currently a number of 2, 3 and 4 day-per-week positions available. Please indicate your availability and preference for number of days in your cover letter.
Location: Royal Scottish Academy, The Mound
Major Tasks / Job Activities
Your key duties will include:
- Safeguarding the integrity of the artworks on exhibition.
- Assisting with the exhibition installation and take-down.
- Being proactive and engaging with exhibition visitors.
- Working within and implementing Covid-19 safety policies.
- Ensuring visitor code of conduct is upheld.
- Participating in gallery tours / educational events as and when required.
- Selling exhibition catalogues (incl. cash handling and credit card sales).
- Working with artists and participants to assist with exhibition-based events.
- The RSA Gallery Manager will provide regular input and support to the postholder and will be responsible for monitoring and appraisal systems.
- Members of the Academy (Academicians)
- Royal Scottish Academy staff
- Staff of the National Galleries of Scotland
Required Skills / Qualifications
The RSA is looking for an enthusiastic, confident and creative person with the following skills and experience:
Qualifications and Experience
- A knowledge of, and interest in, Scottish contemporary art.
- Previous retail and/or customer service experience would be desirable.
- Experience of working independently in a small team.
- Excellent public communication skills and ability to speak confidently about artwork.
- Ability to work independently and prioritise.
- Artwork handling skills and some knowledge of exhibition installation.
- The postholder will be expected to be outgoing and professional, representing the RSA and Scottish contemporary artists during high-profile exhibitions.
Mentoring assistance and training is available.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
|Remuneration||£8.91 per hour|
|Contract Type||Fixed term: 18 October – 23 December 2021 (start date can be flexible)|
|Shift information||Monday to Saturday shifts begin at 9:45am, ending at 5pm. Two fifteen minute breaks and a half hour lunch are given and these are paid. Sunday shifts begin at 11:45am, ending at 5pm and one half hour break is given and this is paid.|
|Annual leave||Pro rata annual leave allowance|
Applicants should submit a brief letter detailing their experience, with accompanying CV including contact details for a referee (preferably a most recent employer). Please indicate your preference for how many days a week you would prefer to work (2, 3 or 4) and what days of the week you are available.
Send to Flora La Thangue, Gallery Manager, Royal Scottish Academy, The Mound, Edinburgh, EH2 2EL. Email: email@example.com