SCHOOLS ART AWARD
REGISTRATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO 30 NOVEMBER
Organised by the RSA Friends, the Schools Art Award is a
competition open to all secondary schools in Scotland which
aims to encourage creativity and showcase talent. It has been
running since 1986 and is considered by teachers to be one of
the most prestigious awards made to pupils. The Award has no theme. The emphasis is on skills of technique, observation and
interpretation. In particular, the judges will award prizes for
work which displays creativity and originality.
Junior (S1 & S2)
Intermediate (S3 & S4)
Senior (S5 & S6)
Five judges, including the President of the RSA, will award:
First prize of £250, second prize of £150 and
third prize of £100 in each category.
Highly Commended Certificates awarded to 20
entries in each category.
The Chairmen’s Challenge
Prizes £300, £150 and £100. Category S5 & S6. Further details
New Entrant Awards
A special award of £250 in each category for the best entry from schools that have not participated before, or within, the last five years.
Brodies Special Schools Award
First prize of £250, second prize of £150 and third prize of £100. Category S1-S6. Further details
Brodies Inspirational Art & Design Department Award
£1,000 awarded to support the most deserving and inspirational project. Further details
Brodies Regional Awards
Prizes of £150 awarded to the best entry in each category from the regions: north, west, and south-east.
All schools who do not feature in the list of prize winners will be entered into a draw giving them the chance to receive: A free half-day art workshop in their school with a leading young Scottish artist. Successful schools will be contacted soon after the Entry Deadline to finalise arrangements.
NB We have made a change- it is now permissible to enter work that has been carried out from March 2019 – March2020.
Contact for any enquiries: Sheena Walker
T: 0131 225 392
Registration Deadline: Friday 1 November 2019
Entry Deadline: Friday 6 March 2020
Awards Ceremony: Early April TBC
Exhibition: 1 – 18 April 2020
Return/collection of non-winning works from 16 March
Return of winning works from 20 April 2020
Entering couldn’t be easier:
- Complete the online Registration Form below and submit, to confirm your school’s intention to enter, before Friday 1 November 2019.
- Gather together the best work produced by your young artists. On the reverse, note the name of the school, the name of the artist, and their year group.
- If your school is entering for the first time, or has not entered in the last 5 years, mark the entries New Entrant.
- If your school is sending entries for the Special Schools category, mark the entries Special School.
- Include a list of students names and school year for all of the entries in the package.
- Package all your entries together, (plastic envelope works best) and send them to us at:
RSA Friends Schools Art Award
Royal Scottish Academy
EH2 2EL Or deliver them by hand to the Gallery. Use the south entrance, opposite the National Gallery of Scotland.
- All entries must be received by Friday 6 March 2020
- Shortlisted entries will be announced on the website on 18 March 2020. Winners will be announced by 10 April 2020 following the Awards Ceremony.
- All work will be returned in the week beginning 16 March 2020 except winning entries which will be retained for exhibition and returned in the week beginning 20 April 2020.
- All winning entries, together with the artists’ details (name, age, school or town), may be used in future publicity materials, website or newsletters. Photographs of the winners, together with their names and ages, may be used in publicity campaigns.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The work is to be carried out by students studying Art and Design in S1-S2, S3-S4 and S5-S6 in the previous calendar year. From March 2019 – March 2020.
- Each student can only submit one entry for the Main Award in the category in which they are studying.
- Students in S5 and S6 may submit an entry for the Main Award, and the Chairmen’s Challenge (i.e two entries are possible).
- Schools may submit up to 15 entries in each award category.
- The work should be two dimensional, using any suitable medium. It may be mounted but not framed.
- Unmounted work should not exceed A2.
- Each work should be clearly marked on the back with:
- the name and class of the student
- the name of the school
- where appropriate indicate if your school is a New Entrant (if you have not participated in the last 5 years)
VIEW 2019 PRIZE WINNERS HERE