- Will Maclean RSA, Boston, RSA Diploma Collection
- Will Maclean RSA, Boston (detail), RSA Diploma Collection
- Will Maclean RSA, A Night of Islands 31, RSA Collection
- Will Maclean RSA, A Night of Islands 23, RSA Collection
- Suileachan, West Arch, Isle of Lewis, Maclean, Leven Stone/Granite/Wood, 2012, 24x8x3.6 m Photograph © Will Maclean
MBE, FRSE, RSA
- Born : 1941
- Associate Elected : 15/03/1978
- Academician Elected : 20/02/1991
Maclean’s art is rooted in his knowledge of the highlands, the Highland people and their history and in his own early associations with sailors and the sea.
Maclean is internationally recognised as a foremost exponent of box construction art. Using found objects which he deconstructs and reconstructs in a display of visual thinking that is compelling, he has developed a unique visual and poetic language. Reductive and honed, his metaphorical art is based on the histories and mythologies of those who live and work by the sea. His deep interest in Highland culture reaches out to universal themes of navigation, emigration, whaling and fishing, and global exploration. There is always strong narrative contained in these fascinating works, though immediate interpretations can be elusive.