- Foreshore at Footdee, 1980 oil on board, 1980, 100.1 x 126.2 cm RSA Diploma Collection
- Frances Walker RSA, Atlantic Watch, oil on panels, RSA Collection
- Frances Walker RSA, Winter in Achnasoul wood II
- Associate Elected : 18/03/1970
- Academician Elected : 09/02/1983
Frances Walker RSA is one of Scotland’s most highly-regarded living artists. A painter and printmaker, Walker studied at Edinburgh College of Art. She was sole teacher of art in Harris and North Uist in the Outer Hebrides before taking up a position as Lecturer in Drawing and Painting at Gray’s School of Art, Aberdeen. She was also a founding member of Peacock Printmakers, Aberdeen.
Walker’s experience of teaching art in the Hebrides led to a life-long love of wild and desolate places. Since then, she has chosen to depict the most remote landscapes and her compositions are usually based on coastal reaches, craggy rocks and deserted beaches. Walker divides her time between Aberdeen and the Western Isles, especially Tiree, where she owns a thatched cottage. More recently she has also travelled further afield; her latest inspiration being the even wilder and more desolate landscape of Iceland.