- Foreshore at Footdee, 1980 oil on board, 1980, 100.1 x 126.2 cm RSA Diploma Collection
- Frances Walker RSA, Atlantic Watch, oil on panels, RSA Collection
- Frances Walker RSA, Winter in Achnasoul wood II
- Associate Elected : 18/03/1970
- Academician Elected : 09/02/1983
Frances Walker is one of Scotland’s most highly regarded living artists. A painter and printmaker, Frances studied at Edinburgh College of Art. Frances was sole teacher of art in Harris and North Uist in the Western Isles before taking up a position as Lecturer in Drawing and Painting at Gray’s School of Art. She was also a founding member of Peacock Printmakers in Aberdeen.
Her experience as visiting teacher of art for the Hebrides led to a life-long love of wild and desolate places. Since then Walker has chosen to depict the most remote landscapes – her compositions usually based on coastal reaches, craggy rocks and deserted beaches.
Since retirement she has divided her time between Aberdeen and the Western Isles, especially Tiree, where she owns a thatched cottage. More recently she has also travelled further afield – her latest inspiration being the even wilder and more desolate landscape of Iceland.