- An Turas, 2003 Photograph © Peter MacKinven
- Grizedale, 2010 Photograph © David McKenna
- Lynher Dairy, 2001 Photograph © Morley Von Sternberg
- Edinburgh Sculpture Workshop, 2012 Photograph © Colin Harris
- Windermere, 2012 Photograph © Colin Harris
- Beijing Opera, 2012 Photograph © Colin Harris
- Gajda House Bolechowice Kraków, Poland, 2015, RSA diploma Collection
- Academician Elected : 16/09/2012
Upon graduating Charlie joined the office of the late Sir James Stirling and worked on a number of international commissions and competitions including the Tokyo Forum, The Paris Library and the Temasek Polytechnic, Singapore. Following the untimely death of Stirling, he was invited to join Renzo Piano’s office in Italy to work on the winning competition entry for a new performing Arts Centre in Rome.
He returned to the UK in 1996 and established Sutherland Hussey Architects with his long term colleague Charlie Sutherland.
Within a few years the practice completed a number of award winning small scale projects across the UK – The Barnhouse in Highgate London, Lynher dairy in Cornwall; and An Turas on the Island of Tiree, which went on to be shortlisted for the Stirling and Mies van der Rohe prizes as well as being the recipient of the RSA gold medal and the Doolan Prize for the best building in Scotland Award. More recently the practice has been commissioned to design many larger scale projects overseas – these include a major Archaeology Museum in Inner Mongolia and a new City Museum in Chengdu.
Charlie has taught at the Glasgow School of Art and been a visiting critic, external examiner and lecturer throughout the UK and Europe – Universities include Oslo, Aachen, Edinburgh, Cambridge and the British School in Rome.
In 2013 he was awarded an Honorary Professorship at Glasgow University.