SCHOOLS ART AWARD
Organised by the RSA Friends, the schools Art Award is a competition open to all secondary schools in Scotland which aims to encourage creativity and showcase talent. It has been running since 1986 and is considered by teachers to be one of the most prestigious awards made to pupils. The Award has no theme. The emphasis is on skills of technique, observation and interpretation. In particular, the judges will award prizes for work which displays creativity and originality.
Junior (S1 & S2)
Intermediate (S3 & S4)
Senior (S5 & S6)
Five judges, including the President of the RSA, will award: First prize of £250, second prize of £150 and third prize of £100 in each category. Highly Commended Certificates awarded to 20 entries in each category.
The Chairmen’s Challenge
An award of £300. Category S5 & S6. Further Details
New Entrant Awards
A special award of £250 in each category for the best entry from schools that have not participated before, or within, the last five years.
Brodies Special Schools Award
First prize of £250, second prize of £150 and third prize of £100. Category S1-S6. Further Details
Brodies Inspirational Art & Design Department Award
£1,000 awarded to support the most deserving and inspirational project. Further Details
Brodies Regional Awards
Prizes of £150 awarded to the best entry in each category from the regions: north, west, and south-east.
Winning students, with teacher/parents, will be invited to an expenses-paid Awards Ceremony and lunch at the Royal Scottish Academy in Edinburgh.
Prize winning entries will be exhibited in the RSA Academicians’ Gallery during RSA New Contempoaries from 9 – 31 March. All winners are invited to the Private View of the Exhibition on Thursday 7 March at 5.30pm
Every participating school will be entered into a draw giving them the chance to receive: A free half-day art workshop in their school with a leading young Scottish artist. Successful schools will be contacted soon after the Entry Deadline to finalise arrangements.
Contact for any enquiries: Sheena Walker
T: 0131 225 3922
Registration Deadline – Friday 2 November 2018
Entry Deadline – Friday 8 February 2019
Judging – 12 & 13 February,
Finalists notified – week beg 18 February
Unsuccessful entries returned or collected– 18 February
Awards Ceremony – Wednesday 6 March
Private View Thursday 7 March 5.30pm
RSA Exhibition of winning works – 9 – 31 March
Return/collection of exhibition works – week beg 1 April
Entering couldn’t be easier:
- Complete the Registration Form to confirm your school’s intention to enter before Friday, 2 November.
- Gather together the best work produced by your young artists. Maximum size A2 un-mounted. On the reverse, note the name of the school, the name of the artist, and their year group.
- If your school is entering for the first time, or has not entered in the last 5 years, mark the entries New Entrant.
- If your school is sending entries for the Special Schools category, mark the entries Special School.
- Download the Packaging Form and note all of the entries for your school.
- Package all your entries together, a plastic envelope works best (not forgetting the completed Packaging Form) and send them to us at:
RSA Friends Schools Art Award
Royal Scottish Academy
EH2 2EL Or deliver them by hand to the Gallery. Use the south entrance, opposite the National Gallery of Scotland.
- All entries must be received by Friday, 8 February 2019.
- Shortlisted entries will be announced on the website on 18 February 2019. Winners will be announced by 8 March 2019 following the Awards Ceremony at the RSA on 6 March 2019.
- All work will be returned in the week beginning 18 February except winning entries which will be retained for exhibition and returned in the week beginning 1 April.
- All winning entries, together with the artists’ details (name, age, school or town), may be used in future publicity materials, website or newsletters. Photographs of the winners, together with their names and ages, may be used in publicity campaigns.
Terms & conditions
- The work is to be carried out by students studying Art and Design in S1-S2, S3-S4 and S5-S6 in the school session 2018/19.
- Each student can only submit one entry for the Main Award in the category in which they are studying.
- Students in S5 and S6 may submit an entry for the Main Award, and the Chairmen’s Challenge (ie two entries are possible).
- Schools may submit up to 15 entries in each award category.
- The work should be two dimensional, using any suitable medium. It may be mounted but not framed.
- Unmounted work should not exceed A2.
- Each work should be clearly marked on the back with:
- the name and class of the student
- the name of the school
- where appropriate indicate if your school is a New Entrant (if you have not participated in the last 5 years)